Friday, August 6, 2010

A Quick Update on Job Hunting

I have now applied for 130 jobs in the past 3+ months.  I have had two in-person interviews and several more phone interviews.  Very few of the jobs have been positions similar to what I have done in the past.  Working in a position closely tied to new construction, makes for tough going at the moment.

The free-fall in residential construction appears to be continuing.  Commercial vacancy rates are in the mid-teens.  That must come down if new construction is to pick up.

I am beginning to think in terms of not returning to the workforce full-time.  I have purchased professional liability insurance and started to move toward marketing my own business.  In the coming weeks I will launch Graham Engineering.  My hope is that it will generate enough income to keep me out of working for the man.

No comments:

Post a Comment