Monday, May 17, 2010

Two Weeks +

I applied for 14 jobs last week and filed my first unemployment claim.  A few of the jobs may have promise.  Things have really changed since I last mounted a full scale job search.  Everything is online now.  I wonder what employers would do if you sent them an actual paper resume and cover letter.

There are advantages to both.  With the seeming simplicity of the online search and respond, it allows you to apply for nearly any job with little or no cost.  No skin in the game.  I am sure that this increases the number of applicants for a particular job which decreases the chances of getting an interview.  There is only a finite amount of time an employer has to devote to screening applicants, divide that number by a greater number of applicants and less time per applicant.

With having to send paper to everyone, there is an actual cost involved.  For example, I applied for a job in Antarctica.  When I applied, I doubted that I had much chance of getting the job (I have already been rejected).  I would not have applied if I had had to go to the time and expense of sending a resume.   This would have saved both me and the company time and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment